Saturday, September 17, 2011

21st century customer service

The thing I like about websites is the lack of human interaction.  I succeed or fail based on my own ability.  I do not suffer great pangs of regret when I am unable to navigate a site successfully.  I do not assume the site is poorly designed but recognize the most common cause of an undesired result is operator error.  I can live with that.

However, when I find it necessary to actually transact with an employee I do not assume I am at fault when a transacton fails.  When there are 2 people involved the most common cause of an undesired result is still human failure, but at this point I am not the only human involved and therefore am able to entertain the possiblity that I am not the sole source of failure.

On the WalMart website it is clear that although not all their stores deal in firearms there are a limited number which do.  I was unable to determine the location of the WalMart closest to my location which would provide this option.  Hardly a tragedy since I had no pressing need to make a firearm purchase but I do have an interest.

Finding myself in the Cedar Hill, TX Walmart on Saturday, 9-17-11, at about 3:10pm it struck me as a fine opportunity to have my query answered.  It made sense since I would be able to ask someone in the sporting goods section and have a good chance of being provided an answer.  Having asked the clerk where the closest WalMart which sold firearms was located I was advised she didn't know.  Fair enough, nobody knows everything.  But, I thought I would make an addition inquiry, can you find out?  Imagine my chagrin when I was informed she did not have the phone numbers for the other WalMarts.  I hadn't asked about the phone numbers, but assumed this was her way of answering me in the negative.  I can handle that, thanks, bye.

Not to be so easily dissuaded, while my lovely, young bride was checking out I moseyed on over to the customed service counter.  I knew I could get an answer there.  Waiting patiently in line it was shortly my turn.  Howdy, I said to the young lady eagerly waiting to assist me and a fine greeting she returned.  Could you tell me where the closest WalMart is that sells firearms?  WalMart doesn't sell guns is her prompt, assured response.  Calmy and politely I let her know that information is contrary to what is on their website and informed her although not all WalMarts offer this service there are a limited number which do and I would like to know the location of the closest one.  She generously takes the time to ask a coworker and that coworker makes the effort to call on her in-store communication device.  Then I am informed the product which I desire is only available at rural locations.  Thank you, I replied.  However, I continued that does not answer my question.  Might one be made cognizant of that rural location which is closest to where we are having this conversation?  Once more the coworker made her call, although possibly not as enthusiastically as the first time.  This time she told me the closest one was 2 hours away.  Now I was looking for something a little more specific than 2 hours.  An address would have been nice.  If an address was not available, then the name of some municipal entity would have been quite satisfactory.  But, for some reason I couldn't even be advised 2 hours in a particular direction, still, this was progress.  Assuming the WalMart I was seeking was in Texas, the search area I must deal with had shrunk from 2,268,580 square miles to a mere 31, 416 square miles.  This is based on 2 miles at 50 miles an hour.  That would put me 100 miles distant, the radius, which squared is 10,000, times pi, in  this case to only 4 decimal places.  You cannot fail to appreciate how pleased I was when the first employee I spoke to was generous enough to tell me, It's in east Texas.  What joy, I now could leisurely search through only 15,708 square miles assuming I eliminated all westward options.

At this point, I thanked them for their assistance and left. 

Now, this part is for WalMart officers.  I can be treated with disdain in much higher end retail establishments than your stores.  Formerly, a disgruntled customer may raise their voice, possibly even use foul language and storm out.  They may even voice their displeasure with a few of their acquaintances.  This being the 21st century that is not very effective.  I left WalMart at approximately 3:40pm.  By 4:00pm I had shared my displeasure on facebook and emailed WalMart with my original question.  Now, I have the ablity to share the details via blog and twitter and have chosen to do so.

If you are reading this please feel free to link it to any other venue you would like.

No comments:

Post a Comment