Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How much DID they cost?

I saw an ad today which advertised $50.00 off a pair of khakis.  My first thought was if they could take $50.00 off and not be giving me a pair of pants and some money they must be exorbitantly overpriced.  My second thought was this was a perfect example of what the Soviets referred to as American decadence.  My third thought was, wouldn't it be nice if before we manufacture pants that cost more than $50.00 we insure that none of our citizens go to bed hungry, or any die because they are poor. 

I was advised the manufacturer is entitled to make a profit.  I recognize this as a concept which exists.  I do not recognize it as valid. 

Is profit the worthiest goal?  Do we strive to achieve profit at the expense of our humanity?  Can the argument be legitimately made that a CEO is more entitled to obscene compensation than a poor child is entitled to basic nutrition and health care?

Whaduyathink?

No comments:

Post a Comment