Friday, June 10, 2011

A few words

Depending on what version of the bible you peruse, Jesus is quoted as speaking about 2000 words.  The average person speaks several times that many words every day.  Jesus' ministry lasted for about three years, so I know he had more to say than what we have, but we do have about 2000 words and they are important.

However, the issue I wish to discuss, is that since there are only 2000 words can His message really be that difficult to ascertain? 

Give it a few minutes thought.  What did He say?  OK, we got a couple of really important commandments, Love the Lord and Love your neighbor.  If you are a Christian, Jew, or Muslim you know who the Lord is.  If you are not a member of the aforementioned parties, then the Christians have been tasked with informing you.  That task is one of the thins Jesus is quoted as saying(Mk 16:15).  Jesus told us how to identify our neighbors with the parable of the Samaritan(Luke 10:30-37).  He told us to feed the hungry, clothe the poor, visit the sick and imprisoned, be generous and hospitable to the stranger (Mat 25:34-36).  He said to love your enemies(Mat 5:43-48).

Now, the preceding is not meant to be read as comprehensive.  However, it does give you the gist of His message.

Jesus chastised His disciples in not understanding His message(Mk 8:21).  I cut them some slack because they only had 3 years with Him.  We've had access to this message for the past 2000 years in addition to the works and words of His disciples and we still act like we don't understand. 

I don't think Jesus provided the message of the Lord to allow us justify our own actions in His name.  Rather, He provided this message to enable us to live completely.

I can't find citations in the bible which instruct me to condemn those with whom I disagree nor even those who do me harm.  I have read that I am to turn the other cheek.  I have read that I am  not to judge nor to condemn.  In fact, I am called to forgive(Luke 6:37).

We have spent 2000 years rationalizing how the message Jesus gave us allows us to act in manners which do not accord with His message.  I find it hard to believe we can't grasp a concept which is wholly expressed in 2000 words. 

We are not called to visit our will on others through coercion, economic might, nor force of arms.  We are called to do justice, not to impose justice.  We are not called to exploit the weak, poor, and unlearned.  We are called to care for them and provide for them as we can and as they may require without stripping them of their dignity nor imposing obligation.  The stranger among us, citizen or alien, is not an usurper of resources, but rather a precious brother or sister to be cherished and honored as we are able.

The crusade of Jesus is composed not of steel and shell but word and deed.  There is no concept of Mutually Assured Destruction but Mutually Assured Redemption. 

I hold His truth to be self-evident.  It is a simple message.  I do not argue that simple is the same as easy.  Neither do I think we should try to make it so complicated.

No comments:

Post a Comment