Saturday, August 20, 2011

Pay Attention

When I sing in church I think the words deserve attention.  I don't pay attention merely to achieve proper pronunciation but to discern what I am declaring.  Being a Methodist I even have instructions for singing.  For those who may not be familiar with Methodism, it was founded by John Wesley and he gave the following instructions; Sing all; Sing lustily, and with a good courage. Beware of singing as if you were half dead, or half asleep; but, Sing modestly. Do not bawl, as to be heard above, or distinct from, the rest of the congregation, that you may not destroy the harmony; but strive to unite your voices together, so as to make one clear melodious sound; Sing in time; and Above all, sing spiritually. Have an eye to God in every word you sing. Aim at pleasing Him more than yourself, or any other creature. In order to do this, attend strictly to the sense of what you sing, and see that your heart is not carried away with the sound, but offered to God continually; so shall your singing be such as the Lord will approve of here, and reward when he cometh in the clouds of heaven.

I sang a new hymn today, a hymn being a song or ode in praise or honor of God, a deity, a nation, etc. The title was "Our God". 
The chorus is:
Our God is greater, our God is stronger
God You are higher than any other
Our God is Healer, awesome in power
Our God, Our God…

The bridge is:
And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
And if Our God is for us, then who could ever stop us
And if our God is with us, then what can stand against?
What can stand against?

Thinking about these lyrics I was struck by the possessiveness of the words.  Our God is greater, Our God is stronger, as if I am in possession of the Almighty.  These words seem to say I own something and therefore am in some manner superior to others who don't possess this deity. 

I would never presume to establish nor even declare to exist a condition wherein I possess God.  If anything, I pray that my speech and actions will declare me humbly satisfied to be claimed by Him, through Jesus, in grace.  He has provided me with the means to redemption but I find no justification for a proclamation of superiority.  Rather, a call to share that which has so graciously, and at great expense, been provided for me. 

And Our God is stronger and greater than what, your God?  I would hold there is only 1 God and subsequently there would exist no relationship of stronger or greater. 

God is for us and with us?  If anything, I hope I am for and with God.  How many teams have both armies claimed that God is with them?  Who could ever stop us?  What is the concern being expressed here?  Nothing can stop God.  Exclusively it is us who reject the blessing and bounty which the Lord has desired to provide to us.  Who can stand against?  We are not defeated by opposing force but by fear and ignorance.  I think G. K. Chesterton had a point when he said "Christianity has not been tried and found wanting, it has been found difficult and not tried". 

We do not need to be worried about who has the best God, nor who is against us, nor what is going to stop us.  Let us be concerned about how we will be the best we can be for God, how we will be for Him, and what we will do to discern and act to execute His will.  The song I sang tonight certainly gave me pause, and in that, provided for my spiritual growth but I don't really think is serves as a hymn.

As an aside, my favorite hymn is "It is well with my soul", penned by Horation G. Spafford in 1873.  I would reccomend you read the lyrics and make known to yourself the circumstances which spurred him to write this song.

Please feel free to peruse previous posts and do not hesitate to leave your thoughts.  Thanks for reading and God Bless You.



No comments:

Post a Comment